That Scholarly London Dweller

Crazy hair day!

I go back and forth with myself a lot over several issues. One question that comes up and rattles my contentment is whether or not I should pursue a College degree and a career path or get a menial, low stress job in the future to help pay for College for my kids instead. Could I even pass an entrance exam to get into college? My ACT scores and previous college credits are so old now that I don't think they even count for anything. I know so, so many people with college degrees that don't really even use them and haven't used them for so long that I wonder if they would even be considered a candidate for a job against a new graduate. Do I  have any passions, ambition, aptitude for a skill set that could motivate me to be successful?

 There is another road block that makes me want to throw in the towel before I even start...college math. Heaven help me. I think I had some serious missed opportunities to learn foundational math in my youth. Either that or I have an actual learning disability related to all things numerical. For example...Yahtzee, card games,memorizing phone numbers and helping my kids with their math homework.  Don't say numbers to me they make me mad.

 I sometimes look up different majors offered at nearby colleges and am always irked at the fact that math is required for all of them. Why? Why does a Physical Therapist need to take two college level algebra classes? If any math is required for that job it's likely very specific, so teach me that. My husband had to take a lot of complicated math in college and says he uses none of it in his work as a software developer. Maybe multiplication and division, or very simple algebra but nothing more. So why push it in college? A degree in creative writing, history or communications should not require college level Algebra courses. Why not make certain degree paths and little more to the point, maybe we could get a Bachelors in 3 years instead of 4 like they do in England. ( I hear they don't require college math if it doesn't pertain to your major...maybe I'll shoot for Oxford!) I just looked up Oxford and envisioned a life of London and Professors with English accents. I'd study literature in the shadows of a medieval fortress and eat meat pies in my tiny, overpriced Flat.

Back to reality.

I'm thinking of taking an online aptitude test that I bookmarked once when my insecurity was telling me I'm good at nothing. At least nothing that could be profitable. Certainly I can be successful at something? If not...then thank-goodness I am happy anyway. I'll be good at living and loving my unprofitable life. This train of thought usually ends with a question mark. I don't know what I'll do in the future, so I come back to right now and enjoy today...if I can stop daydreaming about my alternate life as a Londoner.

An evening stroll through Salt Lake City. 

Comments

Popular Posts