Thin Ice



Last night I dreamt that a storm came through in the night and blew all the smog out of the valley. I saw blue sky and felt sunlight, I breathed in fresh clean air... and then I woke up. Freezing rain was falling, making for dangerous driving, the skies were as gray as they have been for what feels like months now. I carefully drove my daughters to school. Morgan hopped out of the van, her cowgirl boots slipped out from under her and she hit the ground full force. She got herself up and said something clever but I saw her eyes tear up and I wanted to scoop her into my arms and hug her, but the line was moving. I watched Morgan and Brooke walk carefully toward the door of their school as another little girl slipped on the ice in front of them.






 They quickly stepped over and around her, not offering to help her and disappeared in to their school. All the children walked around the fallen girl while she squirmed on the ground, hands slipping out from under her with every attempt to push herself up. The van in front of me stopped and the girl's Mom hopped out, ran to her daughter and helped her up, wiping tears from her little girls face. I was so disappointed in my children. I immediately started scolding them in my mind. 'How would you feel if you fell and no one would help you? Have all my efforts to teach you to be good people gone in one ear and out the other!? Didn't you listen when we talked about the story of the good Samaritan?'  Then I thought of me. And how I have Heavenly parents looking down on me, watching me fail daily. No fire and brimstone comes my way, just reminders and second chances.  I'm going to do the same for my children. I hope a reminder will settle into their brains so that when life presents them with another opportunity to help someone in need, they know what to do and will do it. I hope the same for myself.



P.S. When I did talk to the girls, Morgan said she asked the girl if she was o.k and then saw her Mom coming, so she went inside.  I praised her for that much and encouraged her to go ahead and help next time. Also Kate got in trouble for hitting kids at preschool...feeling like a stellar  Mother today :)


Comments

  1. Your aha moment sounds so familiar to me. I'm glad for that reminder of second chances and patience. Thanks for writing about it so simply and beautifully.

    What do you think of your dream? I think sometimes our bodies know more than our minds do...

    And! Grrr!!! Children were falling all over the ice (and hurting themselves) at our schools too! Speaking of patience...mine is wearing thin for whoever it is that makes the decision NOT to close or delay school...

    Have a great day. Thanks for sharing your post! I had missed the fact that you were blogging; I'm glad I found where you're ruminating. Lynaea @ EverydayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I think about it...I believe my dream was a tender mercy. The lack of sunlight was starting to make me sad, claustrophobic and generally dissatisfied. My dream was a moment of relief. I'm very much a greenie to blogging, but so far I'm enjoying having a place to keep a record of whatever I want. Your blog is the first I ever started following. I spent at least an hour one afternoon when I lived in Santa Fe a few years back ( you would love to let your photographer side run free in the unique little town) looking at your gardens and paintings and projects and loving your honest and beautifully worded posts. I always look forward to reading your blog or seeing what new creation you have to share. It was fun to discover your comment, thanks for that :)

      P.S My daughters loved 'princess porridge'

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts