In Sickness and In Health

The man I love most reliving his childhood.

 Jon had to have an embedded sliver surgically removed... on our 15 yr. anniversary. He woke up early and drove himself to the surgery center where I met him after dropping the kids off at school. I have been making strong efforts to control the anxious part of my brain that loves to conjure up worst case scenarios. " What if he doesn't wake up from the anesthesia and every anniversary for the rest of my life will be spent grieving his death...how will I remain strong for the girls..we'd all be heartbroken."  Before I let myself cry tears over a nonexistent situation,I pushed those useless thoughts out of my head and managed to survive 30 minuets of driving  on I-15. 

When I found him in the recover room he was groggy, gowned and hooked up to monitors and an IV. I was relived to see him smiling. " Happy anniversary" I said. He's the love of my life and I was looking forward to taking good care of him. I helped him get dressed and put on his socks and shoes. I signed him out and drove him home then tucked him in for a nap. We hung out at home the rest of the rainy day, mostly watching movies downstairs. It wasn't a half bad way to spend an anniversary. 

The next day he was feeling much better so we went on a brunch date. I dropped the girls off at school and we had the rest of the day together...well until 2:30 at least. We laughed and held hands over delicious pastries. What a wonderful feeling to be so in love, knowing that it didn't fade but grew stronger and will only grow stronger still as the years go on. 

On Sunday, Mother's day, he took me for a drive up the canyon. He bought me a chocolate cake to bring along and we sat on an over look in the rain. ( yes, more rain. Summer, you are welcome to show up anytime now) Mist hugged the side of the piney mountains and we were humbled by the beauty of the cake. It was so rich and chocolatey!  Mother nature was doing very well that day, she made me feel like a part of a miraculous mystery. Here we were, halfway up a mountain, very much alone...and somewhere on the same planet people are living their own valuable lives in Zimbabwe. Mother nature always shows me that I am small...but important at the same time. Just like you.

Jon has removed his bandaging and returned to work. I am home with a sick daughter and feeling blessed to be here to care for another loved one. I watched the nurses in the recovery room, laughing with each other between helping patients and thought " What a great job, a way to really be of service." I'm not sure I'd make the cut considering that I dry heave any time one of my own children is throwing up...but today I feel like my caring counts equally. I'll lay cold rags on a feverish forehead and dispense children's tylenol and cuddle and kiss. I'll do my part within my sphere of influence and feel blessed to do it. But honestly...lets get some sunshine and excellent health up in here! 


Kate on a day when she wasn't sick and afflicted. 

Comments

Popular Posts