Red Rock Road Trip





There is a desert escape only three hours from home. In the short distance between our rocky mountains and the red cliffs to the south you can watch the temperature rise on the dash, cactus replace scrub oak and blue skies that seem to say...you are somewhere else now.

If you are so blessed as me, your mother in law and sister in law double as your best friends. You can be 100% your odd little self and they adore you and you return that adoration tenfold. I loved having them huddled up with my little family in my freaking awesome minivan for the trip. Morgan read Win Dixe to us as we rode along, I decided her voice was the perfect narration for that book, much better than the voice in my head. I think she will be the new replacement to books on tape from here on out. I love that growing girl. 

Per-usual, the van was basically a travelling candy buffet. I ate more boston baked beans than should ever be recommended...followed by a sweet tart chaser. The kids had their own stash...why we load the kids up with sugar then strap them into a shared family vehicle is a parenting mystery. 

Di picked a condo for us to share and she found a gem. Plenty of room for everyone, a back porch that looked out over the most incredible view of red rock formations and the city below. And to the girls delight, a pool with a water fall and a hot tub. It was amazing! After taking the girls to the pool, Jon's aunt offered to hook us up with free tickets to a Tuachan show and we gladly accepted. We found the outdoor theater just as the sun was setting, it was a beautiful, warm St.George evening. The sunset lit up the orange rocks, setting the desert on fire. The backdrop to the stage is the natural red cliffs that create an amphitheater. Horses ran across the background, water gushed from rocks and on to the stage. The girls pointed their fingers at all the excitement and "felt alive". 

The next day was breakfast at Cracker Barrel, short hot hikes, an injured big toe, a family wedding and a not so late night.


We visited with Jon's Grandma and Aunts and Uncle before we said good bye to St.George. We took the scenic route home through Zions National Park. 





 We saw a herd of mountain goats, some crossing the road right in front of us. Then we pulled over and explored a dry river bed that Jon and I had discovered a few years back. It was fun to be there with my girls again where we had made memories before. Di suggested rock stacking and who the heck new that would be so fun! I highly recommend it. It's creative, meditative and puzzle solving all in one. 


Jon loved it!


My creation. I like to think it's still there.


Our little trip has come and gone, it was quick but so many fun memories were made. Life is full of so much beauty. I saw it in the people I love, and the changing terrain, the lighting on the rusty rock walls and heard it in my children's laughter as they made up songs and games in the back seat. Like " Let's say soap...I say so and you say puh...ok!" followed by hysterical laughter...could be related to the 2 lbs. of candy consumed...sorry Di ;)



Comments

Popular Posts