But...

It's been too long since I've written, I'll never catch up, I don't know if I have pictures to post and what's the point of a blog post sans pictures. But I wanted to do a house tour and my house is trashed, and I'm not sure I know how to string sentences together in a way that makes sense or is worth the time it takes to string them. But...here I sit, me and a desire to write, trying to do battle with my long list of 'buts'. Do I know how to use punctuation properly anymore? Did I ever? Welp, I guess I don't care. I'll spell and punctuate creatively and release my self from the desire to write a high quality post and just write. Because it's below freezing. I'm cold and have spent so much time at home. I love my home. I feel most myself here, but dang...even a self confessed homebody needs to get out every once in a while.

I asked Jon to take me out on New Years day. I said goodbye to my kids and we left with no destination in mind just the strong desire to not be inside our same four walls anymore. There was some sun, it was still too cold to really enjoy being outside for more than just a few minuets but...there was sun. I think I might be solar powered. I can feel my soul draining out of my stone cold feet when I haven't felt sunlight's warming rays on my face for too long. We drove for 20 minuets and realized we were going downtown, to Boise. We saw some cute little craftsman homes so we turned down that vintage street to explore a tree lined neighborhood. We drove slowly down the icy road and pointed out arched portico's and sunrooms with warbled glass windows, renovations done right and renovations that were a missed opportunity. I'm not sure why but this is one on my favorite things to do. The only thing that would have made it even more fun would have been an open house somewhere so I could go inside and imagine living in a historical home with a hardwood floor that has squeaked right here for 100 years. After our drive, we parked on an adorable street lined with old shops and restaurants and wished to each other that our neighborhood would add a street like this instead of the Costco that is being placed in the middle of ours. (Curse you backyard Costco and the builders who lied about your inevitability.) We strolled hand in hand and wondered at the way a city so close to our own could have such a different vibe. We smiled at a hipster on a uni-board being pulled by two yellow dogs. We listened to three grandmas laugh over glasses of wine and a hot tottie. We sat in a sun filled restaurant at a bar with a fire pit and felt pretty proud of ourselves for how we turned our aimless adventure in to something kinda perfect.

Coming home felt nice after that. I put on my pajamas and robe even though it wasn't dark outside. I snuggled up under a blanket and watched a few episodes of Call the Midwife. Winter sucks, but life is good. The End.





Comments

Popular Posts