A Summers Summation




Summer has been everything I hoped it would be. Lazy mornings with my girls followed by afternoons at the pool. A road trip, ice cream and sleep overs. I have benefited from the warm weather both psychologically and physically. I swam laps for the first time in years. My girls were shocked...apparently they had no idea that I could swim so speedily.  A flip turn?! My Mom's so cool! ( I'm sure that is what they were saying...but I was underwater so....) I gave them each rides on my back, it was lots of fun for them, but one of those things you do to be a fun Mom that isn't really that fun for you. I'm glad I did it anyway. I especially wanted to teach Kate how to swim this summer. She was over confident. She had no fear at all and thought there was no need for me to try an teach her anything. I was impressed that within in minuets of taking off her floaties, she was jumping off the edge and wiggling her underwater body to the steps. Impressed & concerned.  She didn't recognize the danger of deep water. How do you teach that?  Let them sink? Yes....that is how you teach it apparently. I took my eyes off of her while she was splashing on the steps to tell my husband where the pool key was and when I looked back at the steps she was gone... she thought she could swim to me but didn't make it. I didn't hear a thing, no gulps or splashes or squeals. She was inches away so I pulled her up with a gasp, relived that she was fine. I could tell that she had learned a scary & valuable lesson. She wanted to put her floaties back on after that and I let her. She has since made real progress and I am very happy with how far she's come.


I also made my first  solo road-trip to Idaho with my girls but no husband. On my own, six hours,no Jon. I'd let Morgan go ahead to Idaho with Jon's parents and I followed  nearly a week later. That was a big Mom moment for me, deciding to let my first born child cross state lines with out me. It's been months now, but she still talks of that time on her own in Idaho like it was the best time of her life. I think it was. We love being with family on the beautiful homestead created by Nonnie and Papa. Acres of wide open spaces with horses grazing in the field. Flowers and porch swings, kitties and cousins! The girls spent their day's roaming the property,building hide outs and playing with cousins. Perfect. The highlight of the trip...riding horses. Morgan brought her cowgirl boots with the hopes of this being the summer she would get to ride a horse.  I felt all kinds of city girl when I was around the beasts, I wanted to love them...but they scare me. I tried not to let my fear show cause Morgan was in heaven.  We lead the girls around at first and later Nonnie gave them each a lesson and chance to ride on their own. Morgan was a natural. She even seemed to know what to do when a large truck carrying port-o-potty's went by and startled the horse. My heart jumped when I saw the horse leap forward,  but she pulled back on the reigns with a " whoa" nice and calm. And the horse recomposed. I've been in the market for some horseback riding lessons for the girls ever since. We drove past a place today and gave them a call, I left a message. Morgan has asked me at least ten times since then if they'd returned my call yet.






 



Such beautiful creatures...I want to learn to ride too, overcome my fear a little.



Other summer adventures included a family trip to Lagoon, compliments of Jon's work, All the girls turned out to be dare devils. I went on one ride, felt sick and was done. I was happy to watch my girls live it up.

Kate is my wild child. She's a little crazy...but makes up for it with sweetness.

Brooke turned 8 and was baptized.

We went to a Bee's game...also compliments of Jon's work. I asked Kate what her favorite part of the baseball game was and she said... " when the human through the ball at the other human."

We spent time snuggling kittens at Grandma and Grandpa Compton's house.

Brooke needs reading glasses and looks quite adorable in them.

The excitement of a sparkler!Thrills the 4 yr. old soul.

Jon put on a show for 4th of July. His favorite holiday.
I really love these children.

And we explored our beautiful country every chance we get. This picture was taken in American Fork Canyon, we roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the fresh air.

School starts this coming Tuesday.  I'm hoping to store up these memories and the vitamin D I absorbed and let it get me through the winter months. Oh, but I'll miss it! Summer is my season.

Comments

  1. Summer,wonderful summer. You did all the right summer things. We loved it that you came to Idaho! I wish I would have seen you ripping up the pool doing laps.
    I thought of you at Redfish when we crossed the bridge over the outlet where you swam like a mermaid in the deep turquoise blue pool of water.
    Thanks for sharing about your summer fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Redfish was the only think missing this summer. I hope we can make it happen next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts